13/10/2018

River District Heroic Nerf

I didn't find completing the Cloaked Ascendancy for a second time too bad - what with using a Signet of Patronage and being able to complete the area's daily quest in about ten minutes by chaining five of the small heroic encounters.

A couple of months ago Cryptic already nerfed the seal rewards from those heroics, but I didn't really care much about that at the time because I wasn't running them for the seals anyway; I was running them to progress the campaign.

Fast forward to this week, when I decided to start my third character on the River District... just to find that at some point in the recent past, Cryptic also nerfed the heroics' contribution to the daily quest. While you could previously complete it from five encounters, now you need twice as many, presumably in an attempt to push more people towards doing the mini lairs instead, which I don't like very much. (Unless those have been nerfed too. I didn't try.)

I'm feeling really dejected by this - why make an old campaign that already suffers from being somewhat boring and grindy even more so? I get that this game is very much about grinding, but at least when it came to older content, Cryptic used to be a bit more generous and tended to lower requirements over time instead of raising them.

4 comments:

  1. I've been reading back in your blog because I'm just getting into Neverwinter, and some of the grind sounds outright -terrifying- already. And now it's being raised a bit? ... Eek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, don't be! There's loads of non-grindy stuff to do early on; it only really starts at endgame, and even there it's up to you how much you want to bother.

      Delete
  2. You think its cos they trying to sell cahs shop campaign tokens? I know its got daunting with my alt army. Tbh given the poor quailty RD boons Im not even doing it on most of my guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can always find a reason to blame anything on the cash shop. This module brought in the Signet of Patronage for Chult, but of course it's bugged... but hey, you could just buy campaign completion in the store, right? :P

      This strikes me as a more of a case of bad retro-fitting though. Feels like they looked at Barovia and saw that the encounters only giving 6% completion there worked well, so they decided to nerf them in RD as well. Problem is that Barovia has loads of quests to supplement your daily progress instead, while RD does not.

      Delete