11/05/2018

I Killed Tiamat!

Only took me... three and a half years?


As part of my current project to get my main caught up on unfinished campaigns, I've been adding to the hoard in Well of Dragons to gain Linu's Favor, but it's just ridiculously grindy. Everyone says that doing the epic trial to kill Tiamat is much better for gaining this currency, but I'd never done it.

I wasn't really deterred by my recent terrible experience in Assault on Svardborg, as I knew that my pet tank and at least one other guildie had completed this particular trial successfully many times before, and if they could do it, then so could I! I quizzed my pet tank about tactics and he reckoned that - considering that this was the very first epic trial added to the game and has been around for years, so people mostly know the fight quite well - my chances were probably pretty good.

And indeed, I got lucky. It took a little while for the queue to pop, but once I got in I was just following a raging horde of experienced players around who killed everything in seconds. The top damage dealer finished the instance with nearly 150 million damage done! The tactics didn't even seem to matter much - for example I had often been told about how you need to kill Tiamat's many heads at roughly the same time (within a timed phase) to prevent them from respawning, but in this group they were dying so fast that the whole group just ran from one head to the next, killing them one by one, and then the boss was already dead before the next phase could even start. Meanwhile, I managed to die once by accidentally jumping off a cliff.


But I did get one Linu for my efforts! Now, if I can repeat that about fifteen times, it won't have been too terrible a time investment overall...

6 comments:

  1. Killing a goddess. Most impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we all know she only gets banished, not really killed. Still quite an impressive fight, if nothing else for her sheer size.

      Delete
  2. You're lucky it's only 15 times now (probably less since you can get linus by doing the treasure hoard quest outside). It used to be 50. :P

    Still a good fight though, and I quite like that if you fail, Elminster is on hand to turn back time before she emerges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm glad they nerfed that. :)

      My pet tank told me about the Elminster thing, but then we immediately questioned whether it's still in game, because he was sure that it happened after 4 head phases, and I had a group that took 5 to kill her, without Elminster ever intervening...

      Delete
    2. Oh, so they took out the 20 minute time limit? :O Guess you can't lose now outside of surrendering!

      Delete
    3. I'm not really sure; I didn't time that run, just counted the phases... but I did notice that the 25-minute timer that is on display doesn't actually count down.

      Delete