06/04/2020

April Fowls

In the past, Cryptic impressed players on April Fools' Day by creating a whole new, lovingly crafted joke campaign for the event, which became so popular that they just turned it into a generally recurring event after a while.

Since then I don't recall seeing anything new for April Fools, so I was pleasantly surprised to see them come up with something new this year: "April Fowls".

This silly event is chiock-full of bad chicken puns and mostly consists of a few daily quests that involve you turning into a chicken and using unique combat abilities. The currency you earn from them can be used to buy a giant chicken mount or a couple of vanity pets.

There is also a chicken themed PvP brawl that involves you taking on the same chicken forms and abilities as in the daily quests while pecking enemy players to death. I've only done it once so far but couldn't stop laughing pretty much through the entire thing.

It's not the most sophisticated event ever, but the light-hearted silliness of it all is just right for the current climate in my eyes, and for a limited-time event it's been great fun. It's on for a few more days if you haven't had a chance to give it a go.


Also amusing: guards continue to salute me while in chicken form.

2 comments:

  1. So is Day of the Dungeonmaster gone then? I was sad at the thought it might be as we've not done it every time. I haven't engaged with the Fowl event as we're busy levelling, it falls into the category of "not my brand of humour"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on how it's been handled previously I think Day of the Dungeonmaster is just another irregularly recurring event now, I think twice a year or so.

      Delete